Wednesday, December 29, 2021

Winter Frost

 


I'm working on the edits now. No formal blurb yet on this short story, but a plant mage flees from the monsters destroying her apartment with her grandmother. It's North Dakota winter, dark, and storming. She grows a giant pumpkin in a field to shelter them. It's squishy inside and full of seeds, dark...and grandma shines her flashlight right in Ria's eyes to complain about the rescue...
 
It's a hard story to write, first, because writing's been impossible for a long while now because reasons. Second, it's my way of grieving my grandma's recent death with grace and humor. That's very hard, but the result was worth it.
 
I don't like public grieving, and I detest funerals. Nonetheless, I was crying in church, at family gatherings, now, as I write this...
 
...and then a friend told me, "So write about that!"
 
Thank you, sister. You gave me back more than you know.
 
Coming soon from the Convergence Series: Winter Frost.

No comments:

Post a Comment