Saturday, June 28, 2014

John and I made a deal. He directs traffic (kids) and cooks, and I write. Since I have very little energy from the lingering monster cold and I'm going stir crazy, this was the best solution. I need to work to escape.

Highlights of the last 2 wks were cold, rain, oldest swiping a pillar with the van door (nobody hurt, but needs body work). Oh, and Gabby made pretty pictures. This is her eggplant witch. She's doing a veggie series for a calendar and she's getting good with computer art. Despite her exponential progress, I'm getting nagged to "put that kid in art classes", as if that's the only way to learn.

Dude, I'm a self-taught, professional author. I do my own website, blog, printed books, ebooks and covers. I don't do code, but I could learn it if I were interested. There are tutorials on YouTube, on the web and in there are books. We have the art supplies and computer programs to let my gifted kid learn whatever she likes, without a teacher telling her how it must be done. Where would I be if I thought I needed an English degree to write?

She's fifteen. At this point, I'm more interested in figuring out how to help her market her work than I am in driving to art classes. If she'd like that when she's older, more power to her. I know she'll do great no matter what she chooses, and I'll back her up until her belly caves in.

Honestly, if more artists took business classes, they'd be better off. Art is business, and if they don't learn the basics of money management, dealing with clients and contracts, they really will be starving artists. Talent is great, but there's a lot more to it than making pretty pictures.




No comments:

Post a Comment