Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Smoky, savory and rich, yet fluffy, even my eggplant hating husband will eat this.

I put off trying it for a long time, because I wasn't sure how it would taste, but now I'm hooked on eggplant dip. In fact, I consumed almost a whole eggplant by myself yesterday thanks to this dip. My sons aren't sure about it, but my daughter likes it and even my husband, who's banned eggplant from the dinner table, finds it acceptable. For a "mushy" veggie hater, that's a huge concession.



Eggplant Dip

Smoky, savory and rich, yet fluffy, even my eggplant hating husband will eat this. Makes 2 cups, because eggplant loses a lot of water in the oven.

1 large eggplant
1 small onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves
1 tsp salt
Olive oil
1 tbsp mayonnaise

1. Generously oil a cookie sheet. Wash, peel and slice eggplant into ½ inch rounds. Rub slice in olive oil and flip so both sides are coated. Put the chopped onion and whole garlic cloves in the center of the cookie sheet and toss in the oil (keeps it from burning).

2. Starting with a cold oven, roast at 350 F for 30 min; eggplant should be brown on the bottom. Scrape everything in a food processor, add mayonnaise. Process until it forms a smooth paste. Enjoy hot or cold with chips or on toast.

1 comment: