Thursday, May 29, 2014

Chocolate sorbet, no milk & Vegan Chocolate by Fran Costigan

We made Chocolate Sorbet based on Ina Garten's recipe. I liked it as is, but John preferred it with a 1/4 c of coconut milk to mellow the intense chocolate flavor. We froze it in cubes and blended it in the blender, but a food processor would work. Left out the cinnamon and booze, boosted vanilla to 1 tsp. didn't have espresso so used coffee. We'll definitely make it again. It had lots of 5 star reviews.


Besides, it's almost impossible to find non-dairy ice cream I like in the store, and if I do it's crazy expensive. This solves that issue, and I buy my cocoa powder in bulk anyway. Not many home cooks have 5 lb bags of cocoa powder around, but when you make your own chocolate and almost all of your food, it's smart. We get everything from 25 lb of popcorn to sides of beef now to keep the cost down. If you can't use it all yourself, see if you can split the bag between friends.

Argh! I just found it on Amazon with free shipping for less than I've been paying at Cash n Carry. Well, better late than never.

I also recommend Vegan Chocolate by Fran Costigan. I'll never go vegan, but I appreciate the way the diet neatly avoids the use of milk and eggs while delivering beauty and flavor. Hats off, lady.



Chocolate Sorbet

1 c sugar
1/2 c cocoa powder
1 tsp vanilla
pinch or dash salt
2 c water
1/4 c coffee
1/4 c coconut or almond milk, optional (mellows the flavor)
1 tbsp vodka/booze (keeps from freezing rock hard if storing leftovers in fridge)

1. Heat all but vanilla to boil, remove from stove, add vanilla and let cool. Chill in fridge and then

freeze in ice cream maker, or freeze in ice cube trays and blend in blender.


No comments:

Post a Comment