Thursday, April 30, 2015

Snippet: heat her up

Breaker has been driving me crazy. It took a couple of days, but I finally realized why the book stalled.

Silly dragons.

In other news, Bramble Burn is out today! Positive reviews really drive sales, so if you get a chance, please leave one at the place you bought the book. God bless you sister! Unless you're a mister...

Clearly, I haven't had enough coffee if I'm breaking out in rhyme. Enjoy the snippet.


***

This is a snippet from Breaker's Ruin, book 2 of the Convergence Series and a work in progress. Book one of the series, Bramble Burn, is available wherever ebooks are sold.




Argh! “You don’t count,” she snapped. “I’m going to bed. You can let yourself out.”
Breaker sat in an overstuffed chair. He wouldn’t mind following her and pursing the conversation, but Luke needed watching. He seemed fine now, but drugs sometimes had unpredictable side effects. It wouldn’t do for him to transform and wreck his sister’s home. “Hot tempered, isn’t she?”
Luke snorted. “She needs to get married. Dad and I keep introducing her to suitable drakes, and she keeps running. I wish you luck.”
“Do you? She’s your sister.” The young drake seemed nice enough, but he had to wonder at his motives. Was he ambitious?
Luke fixed dilated eyes on him. “I’m drugged, not stupid. I want my sister to live a long time, and of course, choosing a dragon is the only sane thing to do. Why would she mate a human and choose a human lifespan, when she could live for hundreds or thousands of years?”
“Love?” Not that he was motivated by love, but surely Luke was young enough to be romantic.
Luke grunted. “My dad is ancient and my mom is human. I want my sister to live so I have family, but there’s no reason she can’t fall for a dragon.”
“Not a romantic, I see. You definitely take after your father. He’s a cool planner, too.” He watched closely to gauge Luke’s reaction.
Luke scowled. “My dad’s a good guy. He’s just…old. Stuffy.” He chewed on that. “Absentminded unless a danger is right under his nose.”
“He’s also been an advisor to three kings, an ambassador and a warrior. He’s outlived all of his generation. I’m glad he made certain to preserve his bloodline, but doesn’t seem to have shared much of his personal history. I could loan you a biography, if you like. I have one of the most accurate ones.”
“There’s more than one?” Luke asked, surprised.
“He’s famous, one of our treasures. I’ll have it delivered.” Daisy might not realize, but any drake would think it an honor to marry Malcolm’s adopted daughter. The fact that she was one of the rare elf hybrids with the gene to become a dragon only made her more attractive. Even if she hadn’t been lusciously plump and pretty, she’d have a flock of suitors.

Thinking of her scent made his eyes narrow in remembered lust. She smelled like sex in a pine forest on a bed of wintergreen, cool and clean. The distinctive changeling smell made him want to heat her up.

No comments:

Post a Comment